i’m talking to all you, my fellow AFAB trans* and queer folks.
i’ve got a couple things to tell you
i was going to say “secrets to let you in on”
but they’re only secretive because no matter how many times someone says them to you, y’all act like you’ve never heard it before, and then promptly forget it as soon as, i don’t know, the sun rotates or something
here we go:
- "tr*nny" is not ours to reclaim. it refers to an extremely negative image of trans* women, portrayed and perpetuated by our society. the only reason it is ever used against us is because it likens us to trans* women, which society considers to be negative. therefore, even if it’s been used against you, it’s not because you are a trans*masculine person — it is because being trans means that you are more like trans* women than cis people, and to this world, that is a bad thing.
- there is no such thing as “cisphobia” or “anti-cis hate speech” or anything of that caliber. every time one of you claims that someone (especially a trans* woman) says something “hateful” toward cis people, you are literally sucking the patriarchy’s dick like a fucking hoover. this is exactly what the forces in power want you to think: if we’re nice, they’ll give us what we want. that’s your privilege speaking, loud and clear, because you can be nice and suck up to the authorities and get away with whatever you want. CeCe McDonald defended herself, saved herself from being murdered like her other sisters of color by hateful white cis straight people, and she’ll be in jail for almost 4 years for surviving — a plea bargain that was taken because the “trial of her peers” was going to be white cis straight people in order to “prevent any bias.”chew on that next time you tone police a trans* woman.
- i know that not all of you are into being radical/queer/or even trans*, and that’s fine, assimilate all you want, i won’t stop you. but do not become part of the system that discriminates against, blatantly hates, robs, rapes, hurts, and kills your sisters (primarily of color) because i will find you and fuck you up.
- being trans does not absolve you of all other privileges. if you are white, you have white privilege. when you “pass,” you have privilege, and the reason that we must be constantly reminded to check our privilege is because when we pass as male, we are awarded male privilege.
- for those of us who are genderqueer, when we pass as either binary gender, we are awarded cis privileges, because we are not identified as a “gender threat.” and because of our society’s gendered hierarchy, when we, AFAB people, are perceived as masculine, we are not nearly as badly vilified as AMAB people who transcend gender boundaries, so even if you feel the need to say, “but i’m genderqueer/non-binary!” recognize that we are awarded so much more freedom to express ourselves because we are AFAB. i can find plenty of masculine clothing in my size and my department; when was the last time you saw dresses in the men’s department or in sizes that accomodate AMAB bodies?
**NONE OF THIS IS SAYING THAT AFAB TRANS*/NON-BINARY PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE ISSUES OR STRUGGLES TO OVERCOME**
BUT THE FACT THAT I HAVE TO ADD THAT DISCLAIMER REALLY FUCKING SUCKS
if you feel like arguing this with me, go right ahead. take your internalized cissexism, transmisogyny, and transphobia out on me. don’t do it to the AMAB trans* bloggers who are already dealing with a shitstorm from the rest of the world. got a problem? bring it here.